An $11 million renovation and expansion has begun at Lexington's M.A. Cassidy Elementary School. Four portable classrooms are being used right now, and additional portables are being placed near the rear of the building for use next fall.
The school was built in 1935 and named for Massilon Alexander Cassidy, who was superintendent of Lexington Schools from 1885 to 1928 and was among the most prominent educators in the state.Cassidy circa 1949.
In 1956 Cassidy School underwent a major expansion project with the addition of ten classrooms, a gymnasium and cafeteria.
In 1976, Cassidy students were briefly moved to the Old Picadome School while the building was remodeled.
In 1988, four more classrooms were added.
Cassidy circa 1991.