Friday, April 03, 2009

Cassidy School Gets a Face Lift

The Herald-Leader ran a short piece this morning on the renovation of my old stomping ground, M A Cassidy School in Lexington. Renovation of the building had been on the planning board for about a decade without sufficient funding to get the job done. That changed last year when Stu Silberman pushed through a local "nickle" tax to allow for better care of facilities in Fayette County.
An $11 million renovation and expansion has begun at Lexington's M.A. Cassidy Elementary School. Four portable classrooms are being used right now, and additional portables are being placed near the rear of the building for use next fall.
The school was built in 1935 and named for Massilon Alexander Cassidy, who was superintendent of Lexington Schools from 1885 to 1928 and was among the most prominent educators in the state.
Cassidy circa 1949.
In 1956 Cassidy School underwent a major expansion project with the addition of ten classrooms, a gymnasium and cafeteria.

In 1976, Cassidy students were briefly moved to the Old Picadome School while the building was remodeled.

In 1988, four more classrooms were added.
Cassidy circa 1991.







3 comments:

Tom L said...

M.A. Cassidy; finally a positive school experience!

Prior to the 6th grade at Cassidy, in other schools in other states I had only known sadness and embarassment. Anticipation of teacher disapproval and receiving poor marks created constant tension.

But now, in the 6th grade at Cassidy, I began to look forward to school. We all did. The 6 or 7 of us unacademically inclined 11 year old boys looked forward to seeing our new teacher. He was different. He was young enthusiastic and took a genuine interest in our well being. Perhaps he allowed himself to identify with us. I know we identified with him. Sixth grade at Cassidy was truely a breath of fresh air.

Seeds were planted in that 6th grade classroom too. In the future school could be a good place to be. There was also a wonderful model of how one ought to work with young people.

I have gone on to be a teacher myself. I've been a teacher and counselor in the Los Angels public schools for over 20 years now. I look back on that experience at Cassidy with our young student teacher as an important piece in providing direction.

And the beat goes on. If I am correct that part of who I have become was shaped at Cassidy, then the thousands of young people I've worked with have benefited from it also. I specialize in work with the unacademically inclined.

Thanks Mr. Day. You were truely admired

Tom Long

Richard Day said...

Tom,

Thank you so much for your very kind words.

Teachers hope they inspire their students to become confident and competent individuals who lead happy and productive lives, but we rarely know the good we do. Your memories of long ago - what was that? 1972? - have warmed my heart.

I hope your own students come to recognize that what you bring to their lives and go on to prosper and remember you fondly.

Thanks again.

Richard

James said...

Hello, I found this site by trying to google. "improved academic performance with school facelifts"

If you readers visit http://www.debito.org/?p=2939 They will get an idea of my concern. I could safely say that the academic performance of the school in question is in the bottom 25% of Japanese junior high schools.

I am hoping your readers can refer me to actual case studies that I could use to illustrate my argument, other advice would be useful too. I have a 10 day window to marshall my case.

I found it a very hopeful 'sign' that this was one of the top hits I got. When I get really discouraged I find it inspiring to read Kentuckian Jesse Stuart.

Thank-you
jerik@indigo.plala.or.jp