October 22nd, 2008
James R. Ramsey, president of the University of Louisville, issued the following statement this afternoon in response to today’s announcement from the U.S. attorney’s office regarding the indictment of Robert Felner, former dean of the College of Education and Human Development.
The grand jury’s indictment of former dean Robert Felner confirmed our initial concern of wrongdoing in the management of federal grant funds in the College of Education and Human Development. The University of Louisville brought this information to federal authorities last spring. We continue to work with the federal agencies on this investigation and look forward to its conclusion. We have confidence that the judicial system will take the next step and reach a verdict based on the evidence.
Let me reiterate the actions the university has taken since we reported our suspicions regarding Dr. Felner’s alleged criminal behavior to the U.S. attorney’s office.
These actions include:
- Reviewing internal control processes, including an audit of the finances of the College of Education and Human Development.
- Conducting an external audit of the university’s grants management and contracts practices.
- Reviewing faculty grievance procedures.
- Establishing a committee to review managerial and administrative practices at the request of the faculty, staff and student senates.
- Reviewing the university’s policies and procedures regarding conflicts of interest.
- Appointing a blue ribbon committee to investigate the alleged improper awarding of a doctoral degree.
- Creating a new office to field employee concerns and grievances.
- Visiting frequently with affected faculty and staff and updating the university weekly on actions taken.
- Updating members of the media on a regular basis.
While the past few weeks have been difficult for the university community, we believe we have taken the necessary steps to address the issues that have surfaced and to begin the healing process on campus and in the community. We have been supported by our faculty, employees, students, donors, retirees and the many friends of the university.
SOURCE: U of L press release