Sunday, August 09, 2009

New Priorities

Well boys and girls, it's time to start a new semester - always a busy time - but this year, something's different.

Since retiring in 2004, after 31 years in Kentucky public schools (25 of those as an administrator), I began an new career as a "young" academic. I taught at UK and Georgetown College for a few years before settling in at Eastern Kentucky University. Working under one-year contracts, I spent much of my time preparing teacher leaders and future principals while learning and teaching about the history of education in Kentucky, and I started this blog.

This fall marks a change for me as I have accepted a tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor of Educational Foundations at Eastern. I have been very happy working with the students and faculty at EKU and see this as a very good opportunity. But with my new position comes new responsibilities for scholarly writing - as opposed to blogging. I was also elected to the Faculty Senate.

The upshot of this is that I will continue blogging, but the amount of time I can commit to it will have to be reduced. I'm not sure how this will play out, but I intend to keep Kentucky School News & Commentary relevant and timely.

KSN&C is one of a handful of reliable destinations for education news in Kentucky. But it is unique for its independence.

We hope you continue to find KSN&C to be informative and thought-provoking. Let's agree, or disagree respectfully. Let's look for the humor in life. Let's use our voices to build better schools for Kentucky's children.

Thanks for stopping by.

Richard Day
Moderator, Kentucky School News and Commentary

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new position, Mr. Day! As a new reader of your blog, I truly hope you'll be able to continue with KSN&C.

Best!

Richard Day said...

Thanks. I will. My commitment has not waivered, but how I portion my time will have to change...some.

The good news is that KSN&C also supports my teaching (we talk about, and students write about many of these issues in EDF 203) and it counts toward my professional commitment to service. The challenge is going to be to get it all as integrated as possible so that there's time for high quality scholarship.

Skip Kifer said...

congratulations...now you will have to work for a living.

The ACT benchmarks are bullpucky!

skip

Richard Day said...

Thanks Skip. Yes, this does turn the temperature up a bit. But what the heck.

Bullpucky?! Is that anything like Horse Hockey?

Either way the marketing department at ACT is clearly outperfoming their assessment folks.