This from Family Foundation head Martin Cothran's vere loqui blog:
Penney Sanders for State School Commissioner
While the State School Board was scouring the country looking for someone to fill the post of State School Commissioner, they apparently didn't notice (or chose to ignore) an obvious candidate.
After the Barbara Erwin fiasco, maybe one of the things they need to do anyway is look a little closer to home. Penney Sanders, the former head of the Legislative Research Commission's Office for Education Accountability, would be an excellent choice for this position.
Here are some reasons for considering Sanders for the post:
- She knows the educational lay of the land better than any other candidate the Board could find
- She has established relationships with state lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, many of whom know her well
- She is not afraid to take on the educational establishment when she needs to
- She knows not only the policies of Kentucky education, but the politics
- She not only hasn't padded her resume, but doesn't need to
- She's available ...