Monday, July 16, 2007

Adolescent motherhood a likely prescription for failure

According to RI Kids Count, researchers estimate that if all of Rhode Island’s teen moms had waited until they were 20 to have babies, the state’s prison population would be down 11.2 percent. The sons of teenage mothers, they say, are 2.2 times as likely to be incarcerated.

Crime is hardly the only issue here. Premature pregnancies increase all kinds of social problems, from dropping out of school to poverty. In fact, 1 in 10 babies in Rhode Island is born to teen parents, and of those, 85 percent are poor. Premature pregnancy is a big part of families getting caught in a vicious cycle of poverty....

[Dr. Patricia Flanagan, medical director of Hasbro Children’s Hospital’s outpatient services] says teen moms tend to fall into two types. One type loses herself in the child. The baby is an extension of the mom’s life and personality.

The other treats her baby like a doll, a thing, a prized possession — dressing the child up, showing the baby off. As one teen mom said, “I got something that’s all mine, that nobody can take away from me!”

In both cases, the baby isn’t understood as a person in his or her own right, an evolving being with a unique future and a changing set of needs. After all, teens are in the process of forming their own identities. Though perfectly natural, a young parent’s egocentricity keeps the baby’s self from becoming entirely real...

This from the Providence Journal.

1 comment:

Catherine Champe said...

This headline caught my eye because my family is no stranger to teenage pregnancies. About 80% of the people in my family have had a child before the age of 20 and I have seen firsthand the problems that this causes for not only the child, but the mother as well. I agree with everything that this article says especially the part about entering motherhood does not always mean entering adulthood. All of the teen mothers in my family were not ready to have a child and those children actually have ended up being teen parents and involved with risky business that has gotten them in trouble with the law. I do not understand why that happens but my immediate family has been the only set of kids to not have any troubles and I guess the fact that my parents were married and older before they had my siblings or I is a reason we have not become like everyone is in my extended family.