(FRANKFORT, Ky.) – At its regular meeting Wednesday and Thursday, the Kentucky Board of Education heard presentations, had in-depth discussions and made decisions on a number of items.
The board discussed the approval of innovative school calendars by the commissioner of education. The 2008 General Assembly session passed House Bill 406 (the budget bill), which gives the commissioner of education the ability to approve waivers of other requirements in the bill for school districts that have developed and implemented alternative school calendars. The board agreed to approve emergency and ordinary versions of 702 KAR 7:130, enabling the Department of Education to immediately offer technical assistance and approval of calendars.
The board also heard a presentation on the procedures for inclusion of special populations in the state-required assessment and accountability programs and on the administration code for the state’s educational assessment program.
The board agreed to appoint Bill Beasley of Henderson to the Kentucky High School Athletics Association’s (KHSAA’s) Board of Control.
Other presentations included:
· an informational session led by Selina Meyer, the 2007-08 Special Education Teacher of the Year
· status report on the KHSAA’s responses to major recommendations from the Commission on Interscholastic Athletics
· information about the Commonwealth Diploma Program
· an update on arts assessment and accountability
The board took the following actions:
· approved district facility plans for the Crittenden, Johnson, Lawrence, Martin and Todd County school districts and Danville, Russell and Williamstown Independent districts
· approved district facility plan amendments for Nelson County
· approved changes to the KHSAA bylaws and due process procedures
· approved the 2009 minimum specifications for school buses
· approved additional revisions to 702 KAR 3:270, SEEK Funding Formula
· approved a site for a proposed new preschool facility in the Harlan Independent school district
· approved requirements of 702 KAR 1:115 related to in-service training for local board of education members
· approved the certification of nonpublic schools
· approved the calendar of upcoming meetings
· approved changes to its policy manual
The board’s next regular meeting will be August 6 and 7 in Frankfort. More information about the board is available at http://www.kde.state.ky.us/KDE/Administrative+Resources/Kentucky+Board+of+Education/default.htm.
SOURCE: KDE press release