Monday, July 13, 2009

No Love for Holliday at ISS Report

I happened to be checking incoming traffic to Kentucky School News & Commentary this morning and tripped over a site I hadn't seen before: The ISS Report. The ISS Report is written by Paul Klaene a blogger, and apparently, unsuccessful board of education candidate (and we know what a pain in the butt those guys can be), out of Statesville, North Carolina who can't wait for Kentucky to hire commissioner finalist, Terry Holliday.

The ISS Report says its "mission is to work for the freedom for our teachers and children."

This may relate to the blog's mission too:
Just because Dr. Holliday is one of the finalists for a position in Kentucky does not mean we can let our guard down. He might not get the position and if he does, we will have to make sure that the School Board sets up a very public process for finding a new superintendent. One that truly involves all the citizens of Iredell County. Then we will have to start working on changing the membership of the Board.
The Statesville Record & Landmark learned of Holliday's status as a finalist in Kentucky and had a different take.

That's quite an honor for Holliday — and I-SS — and comes on the heels of Holliday's selection as North Carolina Superintendent of the Year and the school district's selection as 2008 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award winner.

While Holliday has a few vocal detractors locally — two losing candidates for the I-SS Board of Education turned their campaigns into a referendum on the superintendent and his policies — the work Holliday and his administration have accomplished locally speaks volumes about his contributions to our community.

Improved SAT scores and graduation rates only tell part of the story. During Holliday's tenure, the district has dramatically improved school facilities across the entire county, added magnet programs, bolstered alternative education programs and, this fall, will add an International Baccalaureate curriculum.

If Holliday departs for Kentucky, he will leave a proud legacy in Iredell County.

But ISS retorts,
The editorial does not mention the selection process for the Superintendent's award. There was no statewide vote taken and the I-SS teachers/teacher assistants were not asked for their opinions. Dr. Holliday simply submitted his own application for the award and had his buddies in the Central Office write letters of recommendation. Then the NC superintendents association looked at the applications submitted and decided whose turn it was to receive the award this year.

Speaking of the Baldrige award, the editorial does not mention the amount of money that the Baldrige effort has cost the school system. In the time that Dr. Holliday has been superintendent, I-SS has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in salaries for Central Office administrators whose primary job is to push the Baldrige model, thousands of dollars a year for Baldrige materials, thousands of dollars for Baldrige Consultants, thousands of dollars for Baldrige training, and thousands of dollars for travel to Baldridge seminars. This is all money that could have been used to provide the resources needed in the classrooms and to keep the 70 Teacher Assistants from being fired this summer because there is no money left in the school budget to pay them.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a member of the Iredell-Statesville community, I applaud Dr. Holliday's successes- both the personal success he has achieved thus far, as well as the successes he has brought to our formerly mediocre school district. I am familiar with Mr. Klaene, and I can assure you, his issues with the superintendent are nothing more than unfounded, personal attacks. This is merely one in a long string of obsessions Mr. Klaene has had over the years. I wish Dr. Holliday all the success in the world, and while I would hate to see him leave Iredell-Statesville Schools, Kentucky couldn't choose a better candidate.

Richard Day said...

Thanks for the comment.

I heard some grumbling at ISS, but couldn't find any smoking guns.

It is no surprise that any effective school administrator is going to have some number of detractors, no matter what.

After all, if nobody's getting in your way, you're just not going anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I'm one that hopes Kentucky doesn't pick him, for purely personal reasons. I check these sites every night with dread that he has been taken away. As a parent, this school system has advanced light years under his leadership...new schools, student achievement to die for, you name it and we have benefitted from his leadership and innovation. I respect Mr. Klaene and his right to have his opinion, but I like 99%of this county know Mr. Klaene is dead wrong. There is a reason his runs for office have been unsuccessful. The majority of citizens around here disagree with him.

Richard Day said...

Thanks for your comment.

At this point, I'll be surprised if you're not disappointed.

Our board meets at 9 on Friday. Start checking the news around 9:30.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Holliday does work hard to get the best out of everyone around him. He stands up for what he believes and is no push-over. Kentucky would have a go getter for education. He does really want what is best for the students, and has the highest expectations for all students. He is a highly intelligent man with visions for the 21st century world of education. I am hoping he gets the job for his sake and Kentucky's.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Holliday is great. Just ask all those he has worked with over the years.He always keeps his word and is honest to a fault. He is all yours, enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Yeh, I come accross people like Mr. Klaene all the time. If you look at his blog you will find a dissenter who figured out how to use technology. Not a person who is actually benefiting society. If he wants to make a change he needs to deliver hard facts of Holliday not doing his job as specified by the school board. Some people will never be happy unless they are in charge. From the reports he knows his rights which is fine but the constant ridicule, comments, and harrassment of public officials is a bit much. Like I say though, it is his right and it would be totally unamerican for him to lay down and be run over. When I read the reports I feel like I am watching UFO Hunters on Discovery Channel. It's just a little bit of facts that tantalize you to watch the whole show but in the end you know the answer is that no UFO has been "officially" seen.

Holliday has turned our school system around and got it going to a good direction. Some of the tactics were unpopular but teachers also need to realize that times have changed, laws have been enacted, and accountability is on the teachers and how well they do their job. I think Mr. Klaene does not need to focus on our superintendent so much and focus on what teachers are really teaching in the classroom.

If you all select Holliday you will get someone who will not just do their job but will make the state better overall with regards to educatiion.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you stated in the comments above...an effective school administrator is going to have some detractors. This man is knows education inside and out, and we have been fortunate to have his leadership in ISS. If you were to look at our school system before he entered and look at it know, the growth and improvements are astounding. One thing Holliday is not going to do though is use a soft, fuzzy approach. He is all about results and he expects everyone to give 110% percent to achieve. This is what you want as a leader of state education. He knows what it takes to succeed and he isn't going to be afraid to make that happen. He will shake things up and he will get the desired results.

Anonymous said...

I am a retired ISS teacher. As one who listened to Dr. Holliday threaten staff and have little sissy fits when someone questioned his methods, I know of which I speak. I believe that if 99% of the Iredell citizens believe in Dr. Holliday, then you are not counting ISS employees among them. From principles all the way to maintance, you can hear the negative comments about the Baldrige method. Teachers and other employees are afraid to speak out publicity about it because they know the consequences for doing so. Too many have had negative things to happen to them for anyone else to take a chance.

Paul Klaene said...

Mr. Day, now that the decision has been made I will make a few comments. First of all, thank you for putting a link to my blog (The ISS Report) on your blog. I hope that many of your readers took advantage of it. Yes, Dr. Holliday does have his loyal supporters in Iredell County but I know of many Iredell County citizens who are celebrating today. Those are the people who know the true Dr. Holliday.
In reference to your comments about me, I never did run for School Board. I did run for County Commissioner about five years ago. One of my main issues in that race was education. I was even a supporter of Dr. Holliday at that time. As far as my obsessions as referred to in an earlier comment, I am obsessed about making sure that the students of Iredell County receive a quality educations. I do not know about the other obsessions referred to but I do care very much about God and my family.
As a native of Kentucky, I ask you to be very diligent in your observations of Dr. Holliday. I have many relatives in the northern Kentucky region and I would not want their education, or the education of other Kentuckians, to suffer because of the actions of Dr. Holliday.

Richard Day said...

Paul,

When I first heard your name it rang a bell but because of so much time and distance, I discounted the liklihood of any connection. But you mention having family in northern Kentucky, so I've gotta ask: Are y'all the Ludlow Klaene's? I grew up with a Klaene family who lived somewhere around Montclair Street.

Also, there's something you ought to know. When I said, "The ISS Report is written by Paul Klaene a blogger, and apparently, unsuccessful board of education candidate (and we know what a pain in the butt those guys can be)" I was actually being self-deprecating. I was an unsuccessful school board candidate in Fayette County myself. Obviously I don't know you. It was intended to be a bit of a joke for readers who may know that fact.

Without going back to double check, I believe picked up the election information from the Landmark & Record.

Thanks for the comment and good luck to all the kids in North Carolina - may they find success in the classroom, as opposed to the basketball court. : )

Anonymous said...

Mr. Klaene is a fine man and like me, I too, thought Dr. Holliday was going to be great for ISS when he first started . That was until he made a position just for his wife, which gave her and her clones (IFS) entirely too much power. The teachers and staff had little respect for him after this happened. He also gave us an issue bin but never ever really listened to the concerns of teachers, staff and parents. It was just all pretend. This was part of his Baldridge program .It was wasted money. The only true accomplishment that really has been done during his time is his school building projects. We thank him for that. Kentucky will find out like the rest of ISS did, it is his way or no way. I teach and I hate Baldridge ,but I played his game, and I can tell you we scored high on tests, but it had nothing to do with his Baldridge. It was because my students had parental support and were highly intelligent. Thanks again for taking him. Our prayers have been answered, and I wish you would take all his Baldridge clones with him. Halleluah!!

Paul Klaene said...

Richard,
I do not remember any relatives who lived in Ludlow. Of course, Klaene is not a common name, so they are probably related in some way. When I was young we lived in the Covington/Latonia area and then we moved to Edgewood. I do still have relatives in that general area and in Cincinnati. Now that my parents and my oldest brother have passed away I don't get back to the Northern Kentucky area very often.

Janey Munday said...

I am a citzen of Iredell County and a retired teacher. I had the displease of working under the dictorship that is named Dr. Holliday. I sat through staff meetings where we were told that we were going to do things his way or he would be glad to help us find employment elsewhere. I have personally received e-mails from him that stated that one day workshops or conferences were not productive. The teachers in Iredell County have had only constant staff development that deals with the Baldrige system. I only hope and pray that Kentucky(unlike North Carolina) has a teachers union to help fight for what will certainly come your way. He had padded the payroll at the central office with his Baldrige buddies to the tune of over $700,000. Get prepared HE's coming.