Friday, March 21, 2008

Florida School District Sued Over Low Graduation Rates

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a class action against the Palm Beach County, Fla., school district, claiming its low graduation rate is a violation of the Florida Constitution. Even using the “most generous” measures, the lawsuit says, almost a third of the students in the 175,000-student district do not graduate. The graduation rates of black and Hispanic students, which are lower than those of white students, further establish that the district is failing its students, it says...

This from Education Week (subscription).

And this from the EdJurist Accord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard.

This is Justin at the Edjurist Accord.

Great blog. I already added you to my aggregator. I can't wait to learn all about Kentucky education.

Say, how did you come about my blog? Just chance? You know, if it was just chance, it is sort of serendipitous because I am moving to Kentucky this summer. Lexington, actually. And I will be an Assistant Professor in the UK Department of Educational Leadership Studies. I saw from your bio that you teach at UK and being a former principal, I assume it is in the leadership program? If so, what a small little blogosphere it is becoming.

Anyway, you will have to let me know. I am meeting with Tricia in New York on Monday, and I can't wait to tell her I already talked to one of our clinical instructors. And I am really happy to see that at least someone there knows what a blog is, so I want be the only one. And, we will have to meet up when I get into town. You have a lot of knowledge I could use.

Anyway, cool blog and I can't wait to meet you.

Justin

Richard Day said...

Hi Justin.

Glad to hear you'll be joining the faculty at UK. I look forward to meeting you. And, no, you won't be the only person in Ed Ldrshp who knows what a blog is. You'll be one of two. : )

I think I came across EdJurist by way of the School Law Blog...but I'm not sure. Schools law is an area of interest - I did my diss research on Rose v Council for Better Education - so the Florida case in kinda in my baliwick.

Congratulations, and let me know when you hit town.