Monday, February 11, 2008

I won !!!! Thanks to Page One Kentucky

The guys over at PageOneKentucky had a little contest recently and my name was plucked from the hat.

Accordingly, I am to receive an autographed copy of Bryan Bush's soon-to-be-released book, Butcher Burbridge from Acclaim Press. Thanks to Jacob Payne and the folks at PageOne.

In recent years I have read a lot of Kentucky history, albeit, largely education history. I was always taken by John Ed Pierce's assertion that Kentucky, neutral during the Civil War, joined the losers after the loss. This curious circumstance was in reaction to the hardships borne during reconstruction in the state. I suspect this dumfounding notion may become clearer to me through Bush's work.

General Stephen Burbridge is associated with the despised "Order 59" which ordered the death of four Confederates for every Yankee killed in the state at the hands of southern guerillas. Bush recounts Burbridge's confiscation of property, and the suspension of Constitutional rights and habes corpus during his reign of terror over Kentucky.

I'm looking forward to the read.

No comments: