Friday, July 13, 2007

ERWIN STEPS DOWN

BREAKNG NEWS

ERWIN DECLINES EDUCATION COMMISSIONER POST

(FRANKFORT, Ky.) - Barbara Erwin, the Illinois educator selected by the Kentucky Board of Education as the state’s next education commissioner, announced today that she is declining the position.

Citing overwhelming and acute scrutiny, Erwin informed the board of her decision today.

“As you know, my original plan was to retire in August of 2007,” said Erwin in a letter to Board Chair Keith Travis. “I believe it is in the best interests of all if I maintain those plans of retirement. I have so enjoyed my very brief opportunity to work with you and the rest of the board.”

Travis said he supported Erwin’s decision with regret.

“I and the other board members believe that Barbara Erwin was the best possible candidate for the job,” he said. “I am disappointed that the pressure she encountered has led to this.”

Travis said that the board will meet in special session on Saturday, July 14, at 7 p.m. in Frankfort to discuss plans to reopen the search for a new commissioner.

After a months-long search, Barbara Erwin was named the top candidate for the position of education commissioner in April. Her most current position was that of superintendent of Community Unit District 303 schools in St. Charles, Illinois.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got Lucky!

Anonymous said...

Babs called it "overwhelming and acute scrutiny." Others would simply call it the truth.

Thank you for your persistence, your accuracy and your courage to publish the full record of this woman's disastrous tenure in public education before she could do the damage in Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

As someone deeply committed to students and their education in St. Charles District 303 -- and having seen our outgoing superintendent up close and in action -- I was elated when Barbara Erwin announced her "retirement" earlier this year. I likewise was very concerned when I learned Dr. Erwin would become Education Commissioner in Kentucky. I was hoping she would NOT do for Kentucky what she did for the St. Charles School District. Now that she has withdrawn from the position, I must say that everyone who is concerned about the well-being of the students of Kentucky should be very thankful tonight.