Monday, June 11, 2007

Teaching assistant seeks damages from primary school, fired for not listening to a child read...Harry Potter

This from EarthTimes.org.

A British teaching assistant is suing an elementary school in London after being disciplined for refusing to listen to a child read a "Harry Potter" book.

Sariya Allen told a tribunal she resigned from her post at Durand Primary School after being suspended for "her obstructive conduct over time," the Daily Mail reported Saturday. Allen claims she was "harassed, humiliated and discriminated" against because of her religious beliefs.

Her last alleged act of "obstructive conduct" before resigning in 2006 was refusing to listen to a 7-year-old girl read a "Harry Potter" book because she said it was against her Christian faith.

Her employers disciplined her after she told the girl "I don't do witchcraft in any form" and said she would be "cursed" by hearing the novel. She is seeking about $100,000 in damages from her former school for religious discrimination."I admit I said to the child that I don't do witchcraft in any form," she said. "I was put in the position that listening to the child reading this book would compromise my religious beliefs."

1 comment:

Elizabeth Bushey said...

The teacher's over reaction to the child reading a loud a difficult book like Harry Potter, is impressive. I understand that she felt uncomfortable because of her religious beliefs but probably should have informed the child before or just asked her nicely to stop. Harry Potter was not intended to have religious context as a novel and the teacher in the situation seems to not be handling it professionally. I feel like if I was forced to listen to a child read a book about "eating babies" which is against my religious beliefs I would ask them to please stop not sue. Unless of course it was a 7 year old reading "A Modest Proposal" then I would just be impressed with her language skills.