Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pinterest for Educators?

Ideas for using Pinterest in teaching and learning

This from Eric Sheninger at Edutopia:
After hearing about all the hoopla surrounding Pinterest, I decided to check it out and see if it had any value to me as an educator. Up until this point I really didn’t have a clue as to what it was all about except that it was a social media tool that functioned like an electronic bulletin board. After requesting an invite, I was all set to go a day later and began to create my first pin board. The tutorial video that you are directed to upon signing up was short, to the point, and made it incredibly simple to dive in and start creating. I dragged the “pin it” bookmarklet into Google Chrome and off I went.

I quickly became fascinated with the idea of “pinning” together all of my professional interests. As I began to piece together resources on Personal Learning Networks(PLNs), I lost track of time and ended staying up well past my bedtime. The point here was that I was engaged. My excitement carried over to the next day as I created another board (Web 2.0 Tools). This led me to begin to brainstorm many ways in which educators could utilize this resource to enhance teaching and learning. Here is what I came up with: Curating Content...Brainstorming... Engaging Students... Conference Summaries/Notes... Teaching Copyright and Digital Citizenship.


These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. For a much more detailed list check out this post by Stephen Abram. For even more information on Pinterest head over to Larry Ferlazzo's Websites of the Day. I think in time Pinterest will evolve into a powerful component of educator's Personal Learning Networks...

Here is a list of my other current boards:
 



No comments: