Thursday, January 19, 2012

Is It Fair to Use Erasure Analysis to Expose Erasure Parties ?

One former Atlanta Area Superintendent doesn't think so 

Former Superintendent Wilson: "I have a decision to make 
based on how we finish this conversation 
and where I go from here. 
And remember, I'm the old guy. 
I have nothing to lose. 
I really want to be part of helping make this good.
But I can go wherever I need to go."

State Investigator Mathers: "What do you mean by that?"

Wilson: "I'm not going to give you any threats. 
But let me tell you, I can get there."

One can only be thankful that he didn't threaten her or use "Gestapo tactics."

This from WTSB-TV Atlanta:
James Wilson, a well-known former superintendent in Greater Atlanta's Cobb and Fulton County school systems, was caught on tape bullying and threatening a state education official during that state's investigation of wide-spread cheating on state exams.

The issue was Georgia's use of "erasure analysis" to spot cheaters (many of whom later admitted to attending "erasure parties"). It was erasure analysis that revealed test administration anomolies suggestive of misconduct in Atlanta and Dougherty County schools. Wilson had been hired to defend the county schools and was caught on tape threatening the career of the governor's lead official looking into the scandal. He suggested she would "pay dearly" if she couldn't make things right. The message sounded a lot like back off, or else.

5 comments:

Beaverton SEO said...

I say that your blog is awesome! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I can imagine a similiar discussion when Stu Silberman found out that Brenda Allen would be representing FCPS employees afainst the district.

Anonymous said...

I think this district has just found out that the expert that was going to help them counter the charges has just made them worse.

If being old means acting like this, I may have to cash in my chips before retirement.

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that Mr. Silberman's name always comes up in this blog, but I do think the lack of negative publicity in Fayette County Public Schools under Stu's tenure points to the fact that that someone was threatening the local newspaper with retaliation if they were to print less than flattering stories about Silberman.

Anonymous said...

Ok, with all do respect what kind of retaliation does a school system have in regard to the newspaper, especially in a town with so many private school options?

Similarly, my experience with the media leads me to belief that they are very motivated to publish stories about corruption and misues of power/resources, even to the point of not always getting the fact staight. Even if not seeking out the truth or at least a sensationized story, they certainly are in the business of selling papers.