Friday, March 13, 2009

Stumbo Sends Rookies to Conference on CATS

This from Stephanie Seitzer at C-J:


Freshmen legislators thrown into the belly of the beast

House Speaker Greg Stumbo appointed four freshmen legislators to the conference committee on Senate Bill 1, the measure to reform the CATS test.

Those freshmen will be up against Senate President David Williams, R-Burkesville, Majority Floor Leader Dan Kelly, R-Springfield, and Minority Floor Leader Ed Worley, D-Richmond.

The freshmen are Reps. Kelly Flood, D-Lexington, Linda Belcher, D-Shepherdsville, Kent Stevens, D-Lawrenceburg, and John "Bam" Carney, D-Lawrenceburg.

Of course, longtime legislative heavyweight Rep. Harry Moberly, D-Richmond, and House Education Chairman Rep. Carl Rollins, D-Midway, will be accompanying the freshmen...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard,

Here is another take on this.

The Democrats in the House have are making a very smart move with an eye on the future. Sending new members along with some really experienced “horse traders” to see learn how the process works is a fine example of mentoring.

I have watched Harry Moberly in action for years, and more recently Rep. Rollins. These gentlemen really don’t need any backup to stand toe to toe with the Senate’s members, but it is going to be a great learning opportunity for those freshmen you would exclude.

I’m surprised that an old educator did not pick up on that.

Richard Day said...

Perhaps you're right.

Actually, I didn't speculate one way or the other.

If I were to guess...I'd probably have wondered if Stumbo was making good on some promised made to those who supported him for Speaker - thus building his own future. I know that group included Kelly Flood, but I don't know (and have made no effort to find out) if that also included the other freshmen.

Hey! ...and watch that "old" stuff. : )

SPWeston said...

That list makes me grin. Reps. Belcher, Stevens, and Carney may be first-year legislators but they're veteran educators and activists. Rep. Flood brings experience as a legislative aide and an activist. It looks to me like the Speaker has a pretty impressive theory of how to build a new generation of leaders.

Richard Day said...

Susan & Dick: OK, so the vote count is 2 to 1.

But then, the ideas are not mutually exclusive. Does anyone know who Belcher, Stevens and Carney voted for in the speaker's race?

Anonymous said...

Are there any new developments on SB 1?

Does anyone have a feeling for whether or not this bill is going to make it during this session or when that might happen?

Richard Day said...

Yes...see the new post just in.

Anonymous said...

Innes is such an arogant, ignorant idiot who needs to crawl back under his rock. We love you Richard (Day).

Richard Day said...

Rats! I hit the wrong button and accidently posted the last comment.

I typically disallow name-calling at KSN&C and regret that the error is irreversable.

While I appreciate the above commenter's sentiment, I am the one who must maintain standards on this site, and there, I slipped up. Perhaps, in that moment, my heart got in the way of my head.