Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Draud Recovering from Rare Viral Illness, Farris in charge

(FRANKFORT, Ky.) – Kentucky Education Commissioner Jon E. Draud is recuperating at home in Edgewood after a bout with a virus that affected his central nervous system.

After a fall at home, Draud experienced leg pain and difficulty walking. Doctors diagnosed a rare but treatable viral condition that requires drug intervention and physical therapy.

“I’ve always enjoyed good health, and although this condition is treatable, it’s very frustrating for me,” Draud said. “I’ve had to curtail my level of activity, but I hope to be back to my usual routine very soon.”

Although he is recovering at home, Draud maintains contact with staff at his Frankfort-based office. He has designated Deputy Commissioner Elaine Farris to act in his absence if needed during his recuperation.

Draud’s physicians have not yet determined how long his recovery may last.

SOURCE: KDE press release

No comments: