Thursday, July 17, 2008

McCain receives polite but tepid welcome from pro-Obama crowd

This from CNN:

Republican presidential hopeful John McCain received a polite but tepid welcome Wednesday as he spoke before a hugely pro-Barack Obama and Democratic crowd at the NAACP convention.

Sen. John McCain is greeted by Julian Bond, the chairman of the NAACP.

McCain received the most cheers when opened his address with praise for his rival.
By the end of his speech, which focused on education reform, the crowd was on its feet, giving McCain a respectful standing ovation.

The audience cheered McCain's promise to reform the education system and expand opportunities for minorities. Gretchen Woods, an undecided voter, said she found McCain's speech "informative and very interesting."

"I had intended not to come, but now that I am here and actually heard it, I think I made the right choice to come and hear it," she said. "After hearing him today, I may listen to him again."

Venitta Barnett, an NAACP member and Obama supporter, said also was glad McCain spoke before the group. "I came, and I was open-minded, and I listened, and I was more surprised that I am open to what he was saying. He is not everything that I heard that he was about. He is more people-oriented, so I am open," she said...

Thanks to Brad at KSBA.

No comments: