Fireworks in pocket explode, injuring student
SHE AND FIVE OTHERS AT PHELPS HIGH GO TO HOSPITAL
PHELPS --A Pike County high school student was injured in an explosion Wednesday that also sent five other students to a hospital as a precaution.
Trooper Scott Hopkins, a Kentucky State Police spokesman, said the 16-year-old girl brought some recreational fireworks to Phelps High School.
About 10 a.m., the fireworks exploded in her pocket as she sat down in a classroom.
The girl's clothes were torn, and she had burns on her legs.
Hopkins said she was taken to Pikeville Medical Center. He did not know the extent of her injuries but said they were not life-threatening...
Thursday, December 20, 2007
This from the Herald Leader: