Today we publish the results of our invitation...each in a separate post. Each candidate responded in their own way. We got one statement, one press release, one set of answers to our questions, and one candidate who chose not to respond simply citing "strategy." Readers are left to conclude what they will from that.
- In redistricting, what will be your highest priority…
· Doing the best for your board district, or
· Doing the best for the entire system?
- FCPS is currently undergoing an audit to determine, in part, whether an accounting error led to Board members being surprised by a $20 million deficit. How would a negative result impact your opinion of the Superintendent? How would a positive result impact your opinion of the Superintendent?
- Do you support the passage of a charter school law in Kentucky? If so, what are the most important features of such a law? If not, why not?
- In your view, what have the Fayette County Schools done particularly well over the last five years? What has the district done poorly that you would hope to change?
- Has leadership played a role in existing district problems? If so, how?
Cite your greatest personal accomplishment in public education.
- What are your views on open data and the transparency of information about the schools? What kinds of information should be made public?
- In your view, what are the positives and negatives associated with today's "corporate school reform movement?" (college- and career-readiness and Common Core State Standards, high-stakes assessment (increased use of test scores to evaluate students, teachers and schools), weakening teacher tenure and teacher's unions, school choice, increased federal control over education, increasing class size...)
- Is race an issue in the Fayette County schools? If so, in what way? If not, why not?
- How much money do you plan to spend on your election? How much have you collected so far?