Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My new gig.

Well...it seems I'm continuing my tour of central Kentucky colleges and universities.

In recent years I have been teaching in the graduate education programs of the University of Kentucky and Georgetown College. But this fall, I had a lighter schedule than usual. So when Eastern Kentucky University contacted me to consider a one-year appointment as a visiting lecturer, it sounded like fun. So until the middle of May 2008, I am serving as a visiting lecturer in EKU's College of Education, teaching an educational foundations course called "Schooling and Society." This is my first time working with undergraduates. So far, so good.

Schooling and Society allows old generalists, like me, to "work out" on a variety of topics including social and cultural influences on the schools; the purposes of schooling; the role of the individual educator and school governance, finance and administration.

In addition, the University of Kentucky and Kentucky State University have worked out a cooperative effort to prepare a number of minority educators to assume school leadership roles. So one of UK's cohort groups meets at K State for the School Leadership Practicum, which I teach.
I seem to be making the rounds. Perhaps this should serve as a warning to Transy and Asbury. It also helps explain a lower story count on KSN&C.

No comments: