Monday, December 21, 2009

I Am What I Learn

The U.S. Department of Education announced the winners of its “I Am What I Learn” video contest this week: Rene Harris, Alex Hughes and Jordan Lederman.

Harris, 17, is a 12th grader at Oxford Area High School in Oxford, Pa. In her entry, Harris shares her story about overcoming personal setbacks at home. “A lot of young people have negative stuff going on in their lives. I figured by telling my story, I may inspire others to get serious about learning so they can get to where they want to be,” Harris said.

Hughes, 16, is an 11th grader at Southeast Guilford High School in Greensboro, N.C. In his entry, Hughes discusses the importance of education in achieving his dream to become a movie director. He explains, “Education is important to me because it will decide how I live my life. I know that if I work hard enough on my education, I will reach my ultimate goal.”

Lederman, 13, is an eighth grader at Pine Lake Middle School in Sammamish, Wash. In her entry, Lederman explains the intersection of education and the thing she loves most -- chickens. Hoping to one day have her own farm of pet chickens, Lederman plans to use her award in three ways: she will save some money for college; she will donate some money to an international organization that purchases hens for poor families; and she will use the rest to take care of her own chickens.

“These students have demonstrated creativity and passion in sharing their personal stories,” U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said. “I congratulate each of them for winning this contest, and I wish them the best in continuing to pursue their dreams.”

And these from slightly better known students: Shane Battier...


and Myron Rolle:

No comments: