The board approved directing the Kentucky Department of Education to work with the appropriate stakeholders to develop an administrative regulation requiring the use of Uniform Academic Course Codes. The codes will provide benefits to school districts as they work to comply with statutory and regulatory requirements, meet student needs, provide data and report information.
The board also approved directing the Department of Education to use end-of-course assessments for Kentucky’s public high school assessment program to fulfill Senate Bill 1 goals.
The board endorsed the department’s effort to develop a statewide common evaluation system that will link teacher and administrator effectiveness to the following:
- Student Achievement
- Working Conditions
- Differentiated Compensation
The evaluation system is necessary to improve the quality of teachers and administrators in Kentucky’s schools and significantly improve student learning.
The board approved proposed revisions to 703 KAR 5:060, a regulation related to the interim assessment process. The revisions focus on data collection and support for improving graduation rates in the state’s public schools.
For the board’s legislative agenda, a motion was made to take out an item related to adding chronic, low student academic performance as a cause for removal of a superintendent or local school board member. The motion did not pass, and the legislative agenda was adopted as presented.
The board took the following actions:
- approved the district facility plan for Jenkins Independent
- approved district facility plan amendments for Graves County, Mercer County and Newport Independent
- approved 2009-10 local district tax rates levied
- gave final approval to 702 KAR 6:100, a regulation related to appeals procedures for nutrition and health services programs
- approved the 2010 Facility Unmet Needs Report
The board heard presentations on a variety of items:
- regulations related to the Program of Studies and minimum high school graduation requirements
- the Annual Report of the Kentucky Educational Collaborative for State Agency Children (KECSAC)
- a regulation related to school district insurance policies
- Kentucky High School Athletics Association (KHSAA) annual reporting requirements
update on Title IX from KHSAA
The Kentucky Board of Education, the Education Professional Standards Board and the Council on Postsecondary Education will hold a joint meeting on February 10 in Frankfort. More information about the board is available here.
The Kentucky Board of Education meeting on Wednesday and Thursday of this week was webcast, and that webcast is now archived. You may access the archive at the URLS below.
12/09/2009 Video and audio --
12/10/2009 Video and audio --
12/09/2009 Downloadable audio podcast --
12/10/2009 Downloadable audio podcast --