Friday, April 23, 2010

Board asked to okay elective Bible course

This form the McCreary County Record:
Though no formal action was taken at Thursday night’s meeting, the McCreary County Board of Education is considering a Bible class for high school students.Board members heard a presentation from Roger Dillon, Kentucky State Director for Christian Educators Association International, who discussed the development of an elective course high school students could take to learn more about the Bible.

Dillon explained that the 1963 Supreme Court decision (Abington Township School District v. Schempp) which prohibits public school officials from leading prayers and/or devotional Bible reading does not prohibit such a class.

“The Bible can be taught from a historical or literary perspective so long as it is not taught devotionally,” Dillon said.

Such electives are even encouraged in legal guidelines issued by the Clinton administration in 1998.While the National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools and the Bible Literacy Project each have courses which have been taught around the country, Dillon also noted that a bill is currently under consideration for Kentucky to develop its own curriculum as Tennessee recently opted to do.

Senate Bill 142 passed the Senate on February 25 by a vote of 37-1 but has languished in the House’s Education Committee since March 2...

Hat Tip to KSBA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Dillon in that teaching a course on the bible in a high school is an ok thing to do. I think his intentions are good when he says that it will strictly be taught as a “historical or literacy” class. However, with the affiliations he has with the Christian Educators Association International it makes his motivation for wanting these courses look extremely biased. I myself am a Christian and read the bible daily. In addition, I am also a firm believer in our constitution and believe that our freedoms of being an American stand just as important as those of my own faith. In this case, I think it is more important to protect the rights of American people opposed having such a course being taught by a teacher who believes in the bible and its practices. My solution to the problem, and to me the only way of protecting our students social liberties is by having a non-Christian teacher teach this course if the curriculum passes.

Sarah L. Johnson

Kate Robinson said...

I have to say that I really like the idea of having an elective Bible course throughout the High School of Kentucky. The way this bill was presented and will be implemented seems to be in the most appropriate way. I just hope that once it makes it to the schools and is taught in the classroom that the teachers of this course do not turn it into a church group. But, if it is taught in the correct manner I think that it will be a very beneficial class. I remember in college a course that I have previous taken we read a section of Genesis and it was very educational and beneficial to me and everyone in class. It gave us all a different perspective and understanding of a very important historical and religious book.

Julie Dellechiaie said...

As a Christian I would have loved to have had the opportunity to have a Bible course in my high school. I don't believe having a non-Christian educator will solve the issue of biased teaching, simply because not many non-Christian educators would volunteer to teach a subject that is optional for both the students to take and the school to host. I know many people that are fascinated by the Bible simply for the historical evidence it provides for the world's past. There are even some that believe that creationism and evolution are compatible and can be taught in such a way. I believe they are compatible but in a public school setting it is not practical to teach without overstepping the Abington Township School District v. Schempp decision. High school students understand their rights, but those with an interest in such a class should not be denied the access to an education they desire.