Sunday, March 11, 2007

This New Blogging Thing I'm doing

A couple of weeks ago I found myself (a retired school principal, now teaching graduate education at UK & Georgetown College) with some discretionary time. According to my own schedule, I was supposed to be researching a book; but I didn't feel like it. Instead I resurrected this blog which was inactive since 2003 when I used it with my students. Back then it was called, "The Principal" and was oriented toward issues of concern to front-line educational leaders; the captains of educational reform.

Now, I am interested in something different.

I wanted to create a place you could go to quickly to get a good overview of the events that are shaping our school system in Kentucky, which seventeen years after KERA, is still evolving.

I wanted a place for informed commentary on the news and issues facing our schools; their history and their future; both sides of the issues. I am not interested in flaming invective from either side of the political specturm. Maybe what I really want is a moderate rebellion. A balance of freedom and responsibility. Talk about your oxymorons! How can one encourage the free exchange of ideas while restricting it?

I wondered about inviting a small group of contributors to the blog, but haven't worked that out yet. So, just like former state Education Commissioner Thomas Boysen and the implementation of KERA - I'm building this airplane as I fly it. ...and I'll try not to fly it into the ground.

Let me know what you think.

No comments: